By 2030, California’s senior population will double to 9 million, but the state faces an estimated shortage of 200,000 home health and home care aides. Therefore, it is expected to see many new businesses trying to meet the demand created by this trend. However, obtaining the necessary licenses you need to operate a business in this sector is a taxing process. Here’s a brief introduction to the requirements you must fulfill to start a home care organization business.

Home health agencies provide skilled care and are licensed by the California Department of Public Health (“CDPH”). Home health care is considered a type of medical care and thus must ensure that aides are supervised by a registered nurse or physical, speech, or authorized occupational therapists. On the other hand, the focus of this article is home care organizations, which focus on custodial care, such as arranging nonmedical services and assistance with activities of daily living (“ADLs”) and instrumental activities of daily living (“IADLs”), including bathing, dressing, feeding, exercising, personal hygiene and grooming, transferring, ambulating, positioning, toileting, and incontinence care, assisting with medication that the client self-administers, housekeeping, meal planning and preparation, laundry, transportation, correspondence, making telephone calls, shopping for personal care items or groceries, and companionship. 

In California, home care organizations are regulated by the California Home Care Services Bureau (“HCSB”), through regulations in the California Health and Safety Code (Division 2, Chapter 13). Home care organizations employ: Registered home care aides, who must be registered by the HCSB to provide services organized by a home care organization  Other professionals, including licensed vocational nurses, registered nurses, therapists, social workers, and community health workers Registered home care aides may be employed by licensed home care organizations, hospice agencies, home health agencies, or other organizations. The Home Care Services Consumer Protection Act, implemented in January 2016, created a public online registry for home care aides who have been background checked. Home care aides employed by home care organizations are called “affiliated” home care aides, and must complete five hours of entry-level training, consisting of two hours of orientation regarding their role as caregiver and 3 hours of safety training including basic safety precautions, emergency procedures, and infection control. They also must complete at least five hours of annual training. 

California Home Care Organization Application Process

In order to get a home care license in California and start your home care business, you will need to submit the California home care license application as outlined below along with the application fee. A home care license application with the following forms and documents will need to be compiled and sent to the State of California with a fee of $5,603.00. Researching the California regulations is a must when starting this process of applying for your home care license in California

Section A: Home Care Organization Application Forms:

Section Form Number Description
A1 HCS 200 Application for a Home Care Organization License
A2 HCS 215 Licensee Applicant Information
A3 HCS 308 Designation of Home Care Organization Responsibility
A4 HCS 309 Partnership/Corporation/Limited Liability Company
A5 HCS 402 Employee Dishonesty Bond
A6 LIC 508 Criminal Record Statement
A7 HCS 9165 Board of Directors Statement

Section B: Supplemental Documents:

Section Description
B1 Partnership Agreement/Articles of Incorporation/Articles of Organization
B2 Job Descriptions- Each Position
B3 Personnel Policies
B4 Training Plan
B5 Home Care Organization Program Description
B6 Insurance Information

To complete these required documents and forms, you will first need to choose a name for your home care organization business, and then decide on (best to consult with a CPA for this) how you want your California home care business to be taxed (e.g. corporation or limited liability company/LLC). Business attorneys then can help you properly set up your entity with the state. The application requires that you provide a certificate of general and professional liability insurance in the amount of at least one million dollars ($1,000,000) per occurrence and three million dollars ($3,000,000) in aggregate and a certificate of workers’ compensation policy covering affiliated Home Care Aides. You will also need to create a business plan and determine the location of your California home care business. Before you open for business, you must also obtain local business licensure and make sure you hire the staff you need.

Helpful Resources for Starting your Home Care Business in California

Talk to a Business and Corporations Attorney Today

Carbon Law Group can help you navigate this process of opening your home care organization business! We provide business transactional legal services to business owners in healthcare, home care, tech, non-profits, and more. Call (213) 603-9354 or email [email protected] to discuss your needs with a Los Angeles corporate attorney today.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

We are located in.

Carbon Law Group, APLC

1001 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 100 #3200

Los Angeles, CA 90017

Carbon Law Group, P.C.

840 Apollo Street, Suite 100,

El Segundo, CA 90245

Carbon Law Group, P.C.

2500 Broadway Building F, Suite F-125,

Santa Monica, CA 90404

Carbon Law Group, P.C.

4195 Chino Hills Parkway #1135

Chino Hills CA 91709

(323) 543-4453


Carbon Law Group PC| Attorneys of Law | 1001 Wilshire Boulevard PMB 2083

Phone: (323) 543-4453 | Fax: (323) 488-9784 | Email:[email protected]

Located in Los Angeles, California, the law firm of Carbon Law Group PC. represents clients throughout California, including, but not limited to the cities of Los Angeles, El Segundo, Torrance, Pasadena, Santa Monica, Culver City, Long Beach, Irvine, Costa Mesa, and Orange County, Los Angeles County, Riverside County, San Bernardino County and San Diego County.


No Attorney-Client Relationship Created by Use of this Website. Neither your receipt of information from this website nor your use of this website to contact the Carbon Law Group, P.C. (hereinafter “the Firm”) or one of its lawyers creates an attorney-client relationship between you and the Firm. You will become a client of the Firm only if and when you sign an engagement agreement setting forth the scope of the Firm’s engagement, the fee arrangement, and other relevant matters. As a matter of policy, the Firm does not accept a new client without first investigating for possible conflicts of interests and obtaining a signed engagement letter. (The Firm may, for example, already represent another party involved in your matter.)

No Confidentiality. You may not use this website to provide confidential information about a legal matter of yours to the Firm. Your use of this website does not make you a client of the firm or even a prospective client of the Firm. If you have confidential information that you would like to give to any lawyer at the Firm, please communicate with one if the Firm’s lawyers in person or by telephone–not by filling in any form on this website or by sending an unsolicited email to the Firm or any of its lawyers.

No Legal Advice Intended. This website includes general information about legal issues and developments in the law. Such materials are for informational purposes only and may not reflect the most current legal developments. These informational materials are not intended, and must not be taken, as legal advice on any particular set of facts or circumstances. You need to contact a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction for advice on specific legal issues problems..

Call Now Button Skip to content